Translate

Saturday, January 19, 2013

Writing Exercises

So its a bit late but I decided to put my thoughts down on paper (or blogger rather). A good writing tool is to come up with some writing Exercises. These, like normal exercises, help you to build up your writing in a good and well-refined manner, even if you don't write a lot that day. A common writing exercise is reviewing what you previously wrote that day (or an earlier day) and edit it to sound better. It's a common enough occurrence  but don't let it suck you in. It doesn't matter how long you spend editing the first chapter, your book won't be finished if you do nothing but edit.

Another commonly used one is known as the "Writing sprint" where you'll write a certain amount of _X_ thing in a certain time. It could be about your book, or about something completely different. The goal is to get your mind ready for excessive writing, and to let your mind and thoughts flow. This one is actually the exercise that I use (most of the time).

Don't be afraid to make up your own writing exercises too, if they help you with your writing. Just start off with a goal in mind, I.E. better at not using four million commas (*cough* I usually have to half ((lol. have to half)) the amount of commas I use before I publish. Whats with all these parenthesis anyway?) or better at having your descriptions or dialogue. Doing writing exercises every day can really help you become a better writer.

Writing prompt for the day: The world is flooded and you have to stay in your house or you'll drown.

(don't judge me on my semantics or parenthesis at all during this post.)

No comments:

Post a Comment